Thursday, January 13, 2005

A Plague Of Locusts

The year we lived in Nashville, TN, there was a plague of locusts. I guess they didn't really call it a plague then, but the locusts showed up around every seven years or so, and the one year we lived there, they were everywhere.



I was in nursery school at the time, and somehow I got the idea that I could sell locusts to the neigbors. The fact that everyone's yard, and even inside their homes, were crawling with locusts, did not squelch my enthusiasm. I can only assume that locusts were the only thing I had in abundance, so that's what I decided to sell.

I found a cardboard box that wasn't being used and began collecting bugs from off the trees in the front yard. When I had collected what I deemed was an adequate amount, I began going door to door.

Now my product may not have been that appealing, and you would be hard pressed to position my product against the competition, but my packaging was right on target. Never underestimate a cute, blond preschooler. I sold several of those nasty little buggers. Although I did find it a little strange at the time, that while a few of the ladies in the neighborhood bought locusts from me, they refused delivery. I may have been confused but was not offended in the least as it meant that I could keep selling without having to restock.

Today I'm a Partner and Director of Creative Services for a national advertising and marketing agency. Coincidence? I think not.

No comments: